Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Please choose one passage from the novel that is significant to you. Why is this passage meaningful? Please type it into one of your entries and comment on what you think about the passage.

By some, random words mean absolutely nothing. By few others, such as I, random words can be the most beautiful thing in the world. One of my favourite passages from Fahrenheit 451 is nothing but words. Seemingly random words, but meaning can be extracted, if put in the right sense, so to speak.

The passage I'm talking about is when Guy Montag, is, suddenly, confused. About everything. On the last paragraph on page 17, continuing on page 18, seemingly random words are repeated, over and over. This shows the confusion Guy Montag had been struggling with. It gives us a view of what's going through his head, and is expressed beautifully.

Montag had just finished his conversation with Clarisse, when he comes home to find his wife, Mildred, unconscious due to drug abuse, sleeping pills, to be exact. Then, after she is restored by two men Montag had never seen before in his life, he lies down to go to bed, and all the stuff that had happened just that one day flashes through his mind, and he's confused. He's never felt that way before. Never thought about anything before, and he is given a taste of what thinking is like, just briefly, before falling asleep.

I particularly like this passage because life is confusing, yet if looked at from a different perspective, can be beautiful. Also, I often feel like Montag. I have so much going on at once, in my life, so many decisions to make, and so little time to make them, so many things to do, and so little energy to do them. SO much, but not enough to provide an easy solution, so my life is filled with complications, filled with confusion. And I try to figure stuff out, causing me to think myself to sleep, just as Montag did in that passage.

But there is one thing that sticks in my mind, and is the primary reason I like this passage. Thinking is never random...


-Tanner-

0 comments: