Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Are there any settings in this novel which you have found to be beautiful? Or disturbing? Or memorable? Describe these settings and comment on why they were meaningful to you.

All through this book, many settings were introduced and displayed. Beautiful ones. Horrific ones. Blank ones. A great variety. But one setting woke me up just as I was dozing off from reading the book for too long a time period. It was beautiful, yet simple. Nothing fancy, but made me want it more than anything. Most of the reason for this, was because of my background.

"What is this incredible setting?" you ask. I realized in my previous blog on The Lord of the Flies that copying out a passage word for word is very time consuming, and time is very important in my life, so I would ask that you'd forgive me for not having the passage directly up here on my page.

Anyway, the setting I really enjoyed reading and could not possibly stop was when Guy Montag is running away from the Mechanical Hound, and is floating down the river. While submerged in water, he imagines himself in a barn loft, sleeping in the hay, going to bed seeing a beautiful young lady in the window braiding her hair, and waking up to find a glass of milk, an apple, and a pear laying at the bottom of the stair. The perfect setting...

Many may think, "A farm? What's so great about a farm?" But only those who've never been on farm think like that. You see, I grew up in a farming town. Three hundred people. That's all. No more. Everyone knew each other. It was nice! Being on my friends farms... the joy is unexplainable! There's nothing around save for some cows, horses, and other farm animals. You drive in, to your right, a big red barn, to your left, a small house for the family that lives there, straight ahead, a field. A field with something growing. There's nothing but you and those three wonders. You enter the barn, you see horses or cows in their stalls. At the end, many tools and farm equipment, the farmers' needs. To your right, a small, normally unnoticeable stairway leading to the loft. You walk up the staircase, and you see nothing but a stack of hay and a very large window. A window big enough for ten of you to fit through at the same time. A window overlooking the house, and the rest of the field behind it. Beautiful. You go back outside, and think, about how nice it is here. You fell like you are the only one here in this world, save for a few people closest to you. You feel... you feel free!

That's a brush of what being on a farm feels like. Every detail about the world, you notice, and you feel amazed. In a city, too much is going on to really notice much or go in detail about anything, but on a farm, you're free. The world cannot stop you from anything. You OWN the world, in your mind at least. That setting I had created up above was not fiction. I took simple memories of my past and pieced them together to try and portray what a farm is like. But you can't know for sure until you are at one, a plain one, with nothing going on. Nothing but you...


-Tanner-

0 comments: